Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Domestic violence continues when we are silent. In 2014, 31 people in Oregon were killed by perpetrators of domestic violence1. "We are helpless to change the course of this violence unless and until we achieve a national consensus that it deserves our public outrage." - Joe Biden1
Join us this October as we raise our voices in public outrage at the lives destroyed by domestic violence. Everyone can play a part. Starting a conversation about this issue can help raise awareness to show domestic violence is not tolerated in our community.
your social profile
picture with this
Ways to support survivors/CARDV this October (and beyond):
- Speak Up - When you hear or see domestic violence, speak up and help educate our community. Click here for more information about domestic violence.
- Wear Purple - All month long wear a purple awareness ribbon, tie, socks, paint your nails purple, etc. When someone comments on your purple accessory, share with them why you are wearing purple and how important it is to support survivors of domestic violence.
- Host a Cell Phone Collection Site/Drive - Set up a collection station for unwanted cell phones. Phones are a life-line for our survivors. Click here to download instructions and collection box signs .
- Post Restroom Stickers and/or Awareness Posters - Show your commitment to a violence-free community by placing CARDV's stickers and/or awareness posters in local restrooms, or ask the businesses you frequent to put up stickers. Click here to download DVAM posters. Click here to read Albany Democrat Herald's article about local shops participating in the sticker campaign.
- Vote with Your Shopping Dollars - Participate in programs such as AmazonSmile and Fred Meyer Community Rewards to send a portion of your shopping dollars to CARDV.
- Paint the Town Purple - Switch your porch light to purple for the month of October, put purple ribbons or streamers on your front yard trees, get creative and think of other ways you can paint the town purple to raise awareness of domestic violence.
- Support Survivors - When someone shares they are experiencing domestic violence and/or sexual assault believe them and encourage them to call our Crisis & Support Line: (541) 754-0110 or (800) 927-0197. All calls are CONFIDENTIAL. Se habla española.
- Visit our Traveling Silent Witness Display - for the month of October a traveling display will be journeying throughout the community.
For questions, or if you need more information on any of the above activities call 541-758-0219 x302 or email us.